Fencing a property is very important to define the boundary around the property. It is also to provide a sense of security. So, when people look for different fencing options, they look for something that has a very good aesthetic value, is sturdy and can last a long time without much maintenance. When wooden and thin metal fences are a good option, they are not so sturdy and can be damaged with time. While wood tends to face problems with insects, cheap metal fences rust quickly if not maintained. So, the use of colorbond fencing supplies to make the fences can give them an edge over other common types available in the market.
What is Colorbond Steel?
Colorbond is pre-painted steel that is produced with zincalume steel as a base. Zincalume is a type of steel that is made by coating standard steel with a blend of zinc and aluminum to make the steel highly corrosion resistant. Later the steel is coated with color coatings to make its modern colorbond fencing. The sheets can then be pressed into desired shapes to create the required colorbond fencing supplies. The sheets can be pressed into any shapes and sizes to be used for varying purposes.
How is colorbond steel manufactured?
Here is how it is done:
- A strong steel base that is made to meet the required standards for fencing materials is procured and then is tested for its quality and strength.
- Then after ensuring the quality, a coat of the metallic mix of zinc and aluminum in particular proportions is applied all over the steel base. This coating ensures enhanced corrosion resistance for the colorbond fencing supplies.
- After drying the metallic coating, a pretreatment coating on top of the metallic coating is done to improve the adhesion of further layers that are to be coated. The pretreatment coating is made very thin.
- Later a corrosion inhibiting coat of primer is applied on top to act as a base for the paint.
- After drying out the primer, specially developed paint that is heat resistant and prevents any kind of chipping or flaking is applied on the top. This coating is also to make sure the finish is very fine and ensures the longevity of the material.
- After all the required treatments, the colorbond sheets are pressed into different shape and sizes to make colorbond fencing supplies, roofing sheets, and much more.
How much does colorbond fencing cost?
Colorbond being one of the most durable, flexible, and highly long-lasting materials for fencing, the costs of fencing can be a little more expensive when compared to other types. Being completely recyclable, it also adds to lesser wastage.
The average cost of the sheet can be between $13 to $37 depending on the type of steel that is used as the base material. The cost of basic corrugated steel, powder coated colorbond, double-sided colorbond and colorbond Ultra are $13, $22, $24 and $37 respectively per sheet. The cost of the panel can vary from typically $60 to even $200 per piece. So, the exact cost of the colorbond fencing supplies depends on the size of each panel.
How is the price of the panel fixed?
The height that a colorbond panel is made is approximately 1.8 meters. But different manufacturers provide varying heights like 2.1m, 1.5m, etc. Similar to the height, there are also different widths for a panel provided by manufacturers. The average width of the panel in the market is 2.38m. So, based on the size and complexity of installing the panels, a quote for the colorbond fencing supplies is given to the customers opting for it.
The price for fencing can be a little expensive but the life of a colorbond fence is at least a few decades so it is worth the expenditure.
Do your research before you buy colorbond fencing supplies and build your dream fence today.